John Trunnell left his home in Iowa and applied for a homestead near Caroline in 1908. He owned three oxen and helped many a neighbour clear land. On June 20th, 1912 he was granted a patent to this land (NE 23 T 36 R6 W5) by the Dominon Land office after building a log home, stable, grainery and shed and breaking over 90 acres. John was on of the first people in the Caroline area to have indoor plumbing and a septic tank disposal system. This was possibly installed in the late 20's or early 30's.